Clients often ask for help when it comes to working out child maintenance.

Parents can always contact the Child Maintenance Service ("CMS"), who can calculate what it should be; and the Child Maintenance Options service can give further advice on the calculation.

However, as the CMS now charge for their service, wherever possible, I always recommend that my clients agree the child maintenance with their ex-partner direct, if they can, so as to avoid further expense.