We are often asked to advise where a cohabiting couple are separating. Many people think that they can make the same claims against their ex-partner as they can on divorce. This isn't the case. 

When a couple divorce one of them may be able to claim maintenance for themselves, this is called spousal maintenance. This can't be claimed by cohabiting couples who are splitting up.

Claims can still be made for child maintenance and certain specific financial support for any children but not being able to claim spousal maintenance can cause real financial hardship in some cases.

If you aren't married and separating from your partner and need advise please do call us on 0845 128 6960.