As a family lawyer, the issue of children travelling abroad with one parent is often an issue that arises.  This is normally agreed between the parents, but if not can be discussed at mediation or if necessary a court application can be made to decide if a child can travel.

If consent of the other parent is needed for the travel depends on the orders that may be in place already and the duration of the trip.  If the other parent does not agree there can also be applications made to prohibit the travel until a review of the plans has been considered by the court.

This news report highlights another issue that we are seeing more of.  Even if the other parent has agreed, each country of travel destination can have its own rules and guidelines about allowing a child with one parent (or another adult) to enter.  Before travelling this should be checked and any paperwork and authorities obtained, to avoid difficulties at the airport.

Should you have any queries about an issue involving overseas travel please do not hesitate to contact me.